Saturday, February 9, 2013

Where did blogging come from anyway?

Where did blogging come from anyway?

One of my neighbors handed me his business card and noted he was on WordPress.  "That's cool," I responded, but I really didn't have a clue what WordPress was.  I just figured it must be really important and complicated.  Not so much, it turns out.  So, here I am writing my very first blog in the universe and am thinking, what would someone reading this want to learn?  Why of course, it came to me, when and how did blogging come into vogue.  What is its real purpose?

 I let my fingers do the walking and did a little research.  Care to participate in a little pop quiz?  What do Jorn Barger, Peter Merholz, and Evan Williams have in common?  They were all instrumental in coining the term "weblog" which became "we blog" and finally shorted to simply "blog" taking on the form of verb and noun.  Blogging in its earliest form started off slowly in1983 and raced to popularity in 1999 with the introduction of hosted blogging tools.

Blogs are written for as many reasons as there are blogs.  Some people write about a subject near and dear to their hearts (think dogs), others for advancing a cause (I am an author and want to sell books), and others perhaps to gather support for a political party.  There is a wiki site which lays out the History of Blogging and will provide you with lots of interesting information on how blogging can be used to advanced a We First mentality. 

Happy blogging!

Robin

1 comment:

  1. Hi Robin,

    I looked at the wiki link you included in your blog. There is a lot of information related to the history of blogging.

    Although Wikipedia is not considered a scholarly research site, it does have a lot of information that viewers can use to jump start a research project--or just get a quick update of background information.

    And with the increasing amount of people monitoring the wiki information,I believe it is becoming a more reliable information source for inquisitive viewers.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete