Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Another First Blog Post

So I am following suit and posting to our blog.  I've always been hesitant because I feel that, with all the internet traffic, who needs another blog? Who cares?

A friend of mine gave me a fully prepared blog site as a wedding present a couple of years ago.  I didn't quite know what to do with it and she said we could do a wedding blog.  Or a pregnancy/baby blog.  Still, I was nonplussed.  Aren't there already a few hundred of those, with only a few of them having content worth following?

And that's what stops me.  Content--or rather, content worth reading.  After all, there's only so much time in the day for leisurely reading or even serious reading, and one has to consider the sheer magnitude of the blogging phenomenon.  According to Technorati's 2008 State of the Blogosphere, there are 184 million blogs that have been started world wide.  Consider as well that those are old numbers; with even greater accessibility that number's probably higher.  (More stats aren't available on their recent SooB.)

Having enrolled in this class has brought me to a new perspective, one from which I hope to gain a clearer understanding of how and why to create meaningful impact via social networking and digital media.  I've included an old clip (2 years old!) that I think demonstrates why it's important to get on the merry-go-round, and why I'm even in school:






XPLANE/Dachis Group created these as easy visualizations as to why education is so important today; their older, 2008 clip is probably better known.

It's true that we're living in exponential times, and that things are shifting rapidly.  And we ARE the internet, and we are the machine.  So, who cares? Hopefully, you do.  And you.  And YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment