Wednesday, February 8, 2012

a little pre bed time ramble

I’m starting to enjoy reading ‘We First’, now that I think of Mainwaring as a communist in capitalist costume. He really tipped me over after quoting Slavoj Zizek. I’m not gonna pretend like I know who that is, but I looked him up because the quote had a Marxist ring to it. And bingo, he’s a communist. I had a moment of overwhelming revisionism as I thought backwards over Mainwaring’s repetitive message; transformative power to the people. I’m enjoying the read a bit more, but I’m still not gonna throw back a pint of kool-aid. I remain troubled by the notion that our collective power to make a better world resides in our collective selective wallets. In all his inspiring prose, there seems to be an underlying message of a kind of global Reaganomics, without a criticism of our standard of living. Simply put, I don’t think there’s enough water to raise everybody’s boat to our standard of living. Its our standard of living in the West that drives the exploitation of the rest of the planet and without some significant change to that expected opulence, not much is gonna change.

No comments:

Post a Comment