Friday, February 24, 2012

Taking inventory

The following quote comes from this post on Mashable, "Social platforms are still in their Precambrian era."  Really?  If that is the case I feel like I could become an extinct species drowning in the tar pits of various log-ins and I wonder how other people deal with the dilemma of so many accounts.  Just off the top of my head here is what I need to log into, and this doesn't even include paying bills as this is something my wife handles:
- School e-mail
- All my research articles I saved in the library database
- Hotmail (friends)
- Gmail (For my eventual job search)
- Work e-mail (I'm not in a cubicle so it's remote)
- Uniform link (from work, not synched)
- Same with my HR access
- Travel access via Delta
- Scanner for luggage @ work

Then we start going into the different social media tools:
- Facebook for me
- Facebook for an online game I play for the bonuses
- Linked In
- Posterous
- StarTribune.com (which will be ending since they feel this need to charge me)
- NonRevTravel.net
- ESPN360.com
- Yelp.com
- Tripadvisor.com
- and on and on and on.......

I think part of my issue is that one time, my hotmail account was hacked because of a stupid link. It was a clever enough password but I had to come up with something new and I started using that with new sites while older sites still had the old password.  Then there are my essential sites, my work login's.  There is no  consistency and all have unique requirements to their password structure.  That doesn't even include the one that needs to be changed every 90 days.  

So I struggle.  Have others been like this and have you figured out a solution?

2 comments:

  1. Yet another example of us being owned by technology! I wish I could remember the site I ran across a year or two ago that allows you to store all your passwords--yes, it's secure, or so they say it is. The point is, there are online resources to help with this because it does become daunting and/or confusing to remember all your passwords and IDs.

    What I've been doing for a few years is to jot them all down in a notebook. Of course, if that notebook is lost or stolen I'm totally screwed...Also, Mac OS has a keychain preference where you can store that data; most browsers do as well (this you may already know).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right. I agree with you about passwords and IDs. First, I have fun with technology. Later, I realize that I have limited time that is only 24 hours a day. I should manage my times. I tell myself. Finally, I choose only 2-3 sites that are the best for me, and I follow them.I ignore some links although I need to know. I take a note, and I may visit them later.I try to adjust myself to this world.

    ReplyDelete