Monday, April 29, 2013


Suicide Prevention

In the blog above, the memory of a young woman is reflected upon and remembered.   The journey of friendship these two individuals had from the time they were young and having slumber parties until college approached them.  College didn’t separate the two or put a strain on their relationship because of the ongoing letters they wrote.  They did this same thing when they were younger and temporarily separated in a family move.  Signs were never brought to the forefront of this horrific event that would lead to a young woman taking her life.  This is an excellent blog and I admire the openness of the writer because I can’t begin to imagine how difficult it would be to talk about an issue such as this on such a public forum.  I understand that this is a blog about reflection and less on the facts of suicide, but I think to add facts about the issue would have been a great addition to the blog.   Suicide is something that has impacted my life and is something that I stay aware about within all the friends and family I surround myself.  It is difficult to know the specifics per person, but to just be aware of the surroundings is the first start.  The following link : http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is a great starting point to become more educated about the issue.

1 comment:

  1. This is an issue that I have seen people struggle with. I always try talking to these individuals and give them resources that would be useful to them. Sometimes talking to a stranger (like on the hope-line) helps because the individual knows that the person on the other line is not judging and sometime just talking helps.

    ReplyDelete