Monday, April 29, 2013

Contaminated Fish Are Everywhere!



 So I’m sure I’m not the only one who spends time at a family cabin. Despite being a mostly-vegetarian, I occasionally partake in a fish-fry with my family of fish caught off our lake. 
 


It’s a beautiful lake, no big industry or farms, just smallish cabins all around. So I assumed the fish was perfectly healthy.

I long ago gave up most meat due to how increasingly unhealthy it is due to factory farming (the moral reasons are more secondary for me). So, I occasionally eat meat when I know that it’s humanely raised and free of ridiculous antibiotics and whatnot. For instance, last year I was in Ireland where cows are raised like this and you better believe I ate a full irish breakfast.


Anyway, I know that fish is supposed to be very healthy with lots of essential fatty acids. So, I figured eating some nice “wild” fish off the lake every couple months is probably good for my health. So I was very surprised when I was writing an article at work the other day and my research suggested that pregnant women limit their intake of fish.

Now I knew that pregnant women should avoid some types of fish higher up on the food chain and probably anything factory farmed. But, on a whim I searched and found this site from the Minnesota Department of Health that says that women who are or may become pregnant shouldn't have walleye caught in Minnesota more than once a month.

Ok, this was crazy because I was sure Minnesota had some pretty clean lakes. But surely they didn't mean my lake. I mean I know we boat and ski on it but come on that's just on the surface. They probably meant lakes down in the metro area which I could totally understand.

Nope! Right here I scrolled down and found my poor lake info telling me that those crappie and sunfish I love to have at family fish-frys are contaminated with mercury.

So I guess my point is that there really is no safe place to get clean food any more. It's a sad day when even the fish you catch on lakes a hundred miles from any major city are contaminated with mercury. Don't be a fool like me and think that this sort of contamination is only near major cities and areas of the country with terrible regulation and evil corporations.

No comments:

Post a Comment