Monday, April 29, 2013

Pets and adoption


Every year 4-5 million dogs and cats are euthanized by shelters, mostly due to lack of space and the animals not being adopted.  That breaks down to 61 percent of all dogs entering shelters and 75 percent of cats entering shelter according to the Humane Society. 

As an owner of 2 cats this really hurts to see such high numbers of mostly loving animals being put to “sleep” due to people no longer wanting them along with the lack of people getting their cat or dog spayed or neutered. 

The bottom line is if you don’t want more kittens or puppies then you need to spay or neuter them if not, I hope you can find them loving homes.  But a lot of people who do take on the challenge of raising a kitten of puppy will fall in love with the cuteness of that stage and as time goes on and they grow up they suddenly are too big of a problem, people don’t have space, apartments don’t allow them, etc., etc.  They then are turned into the Humane Society where older animals have a very slim chance of being adopted and then end up being euthanized. 

Before you get a puppy or kitten please remember that they will be with you for quite a while, so please be willing to commit that much time to having them and they will add a lot of joy to your life. 

2 comments:

  1. I knew that there were a lot of unwanted pets, and I got my two dogs from a rescue. However, I had NO IDEA just how many dogs and cats were euthanized every year. Seriously, 7 cats being born for every human baby born in the U.S.??? That is insane. I think a lot of people know there are a lot of unwanted pets, but I don't think a lot of us really understand how many are killed every day. The fact that anyone is allowed to not spay or neuter their pet who isn't a licensed breeder is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two cats, both of which came from the human society. I cannot imagine giving away my cats for any reason. My pets are companions for life, even though one cat is a little stinky. It sickens me that people would breed animals for profit when there are so many pets that are in need of homes.

    I browse the pet section on craigslist once in a while and I hear excuses such as “I don’t have time for this dog” or “we don’t have room”, in my head I just think, you should have thought this through before you decided to get a pet. I have no pity for people that put themselves in these situations, but in the end the animal is the one who suffers. 

    ReplyDelete