Friday, April 26, 2013

Is fishing done?


As a child growing up in Minnesota I remember summer vacation from school as a time to get outdoors and enjoy the weather by fishing.  However these days when I am out on the lake I notice less and less younger people out doing the same.

Minnesota is well known as the land of 10,000 lakes and having wonderful lakes to catch small or large size fish.  So what is the issue? Am I just fishing the wrong lakes at the wrong time or is it true that the percent of youth fishing in Minnesota is on the decline?

According to Minnesota Public Radio the evidence is yes.  In the past 15 years there has been a decline in the amount of youth obtaining fishing licenses and young adults aren’t fishing as often or taking their young children fishing. 

I know that a lot of people are too busy these days, have too much to do, and have other things that don’t allow time for fishing, and the excuses go on and on.  I say it is valuable family time that needs to be carried on as a tradition in Minnesota, allows you to relieve stress, and is a wonderful time to bond with your children. 

With over 10,000 lakes we need to carry on this wonderful gift we have been given and pass it to our kids.  Leave the phone, IPod, and other electronics at home and get out on the lakes with your children, relive part of your childhood, and ensure it is part of your child’s childhood. 

2 comments:

  1. I too, grew up on a lake at least half of my life. Winter, spring, summer and fall. Cabins are so a part of our Minnesota identity. Our cabin is still an integral part of my family's life. It's spring fed, I swam with my eyes open. We caught crayfish, turtles, schools of blackheads (which were MN exotic and a little dangerous) and yes, sunnies, perch, crappies, bass, walleye and northern. I know my trees, wildflowers, birds and water plants.

    I still feel deep peace in any kind of natural environment,but particularly WATER.

    If you have no intimacy with nature, why would you be compelled to conserve it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all this technology it is important to teach our children how to disengage with it and really enjoy being with nature and spending quality time with each other. I grew up camping and it has taught me a lot of life skills that I still use today. Most importantly it has taught me how to be alone with my thoughts and really appreciate the beautiful things Mother Nature has to offer.

    ReplyDelete