Sunday, April 21, 2013

Why do people live in Minnesota?


Florida.  It was a dream.  I thought it was what I wanted so I stood on the property facing the canal, Palma Sola Bay behind me, the sun in my face and a vision of the family home we would build, stamped my feet and shouted "Sold!"  That was ten years ago.  Our daughter, Abby was 16 years old.

My husband and I met with a local builder and put the plan on paper.  It would be important to build high enough to take advantage of the coastal views.  Abby's room would need to have some consideration for her active lifestyle and to encourage her cousins to visit.  The garages would be on the north side of the house, not visible from the street, and when we walked in the front door, all we would see is water; first the pool, then the canal.  We would design guest quarters so everyone would have privacy.  And I would have a killer kitchen because I love to cook.  Then the bomb dropped. I was part of a reduction in force - in other words, I lost my job.  

I was born and raised in Minnesota.  There were times when I thought I was the only one who stayed here.  My co-workers and some friends were adventurous and moved for jobs or for better weather, or for a love.  My parents were both still alive and one of my sisters and her family lived here.  My niece and nephew, well, let's just say I adore them.  

Aubrey Jean turns 5!
Wyatt with his favorite Grandpa
In all of the excitement, the excitement of chasing a dream, one that was not well thought out, I forgot about what was really important: Aubrey and Wyatt, Abby, Justin, Jane, Wayne, Kevin, Kristin, Maren, Henry. 

Not to mention I was spending money I didn't have, shouldn't spend if I did, and felt kind of sick every time I thought of leaving everything I have ever held dear.  Then I thought, well, I can hold on the land and build after my parents pass away.  My parents passed away and I still didn't take any action.  Our daughter married, gave us two wonderful grandchildren.  My niece and nephew each gave birth to their first children. 

Maren Jane and Henry Robert with their Valentine cakes

On my father's birthday this year, March 23, I received an offer on the property and we close in May.   

So much for my dream to build a beautiful home on the water in Florida and live happily ever after.  The lesson learned is that, for me anyway, the Lord works in mysterious ways.  My mother used to say that all of the time.  With the offer coming in on Dad's birthday, I figure they worked on this one together.  

Looks like I'll be stocking up on mosquito repellent and maybe get a new shovel.  

2 comments:

  1. MAYBE get a new shovel? ;) Cute little ones! Well, at least you don't have to dodge hurricanes in Minnesota. I've had that experience. Not fun. Also rode through a 5.2 earthquake in one place that I lived. There is something to be said for MN. Besides, if you lived in Florida, you'd need the mosquito repellant more than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have thought about this as well and if we lived in "paradise" where would we dream of to go on vacation?

    ReplyDelete