Saturday, March 31, 2012

Buycotts over Boycotts

As a kid growing up in a liberal household in the 70's, I had more than my fair share of boycotts and social actions against businesses and industries.  I recall not eating lettuce in support of Cesar Chavez and his UFW labor organization, and went far too many years not eating California table grapes because of unfair and inhumane treatment of field workers.  I really didn't like that one since I absolutely loved grapes.  (I must not have gotten the memo that the grape boycott ended because I maintained my stance for several years longer than necessary.)  We also couldn't eat at Carl's Jr. because Carl Karcher was a dirty John Bircher and because of their opposition to gays and reproductive rights.  Years later, my girlfriend and I stumbled upon a book that catalogued socially-relevant details of most of the major companies and retailers in the country, such as what causes they supported and whether women or minorities served on their boards.  It sure made it easy for us to "vote" with our dollars, but I eventually realized that while I can shape my patronage it's a silent act; major businesses and corporations don't even notice I'm not giving them my money unless there's a concerted effort that lets them know they're being punished for a particular reason.  However, not buying consciously isn't a viable option, as far as I see it.  Like Chavez said in 1988, during one of his several fasts to draw attention to the cause of the farm workers and to the common man,
The evil is far greater than even I had thought it to be, it threatens to choke out the life of our people and also the life system that supports us all. This solution to this deadly crisis will not be found in the arrogance of the powerful, but in solidarity with the weak and helpless. I pray to God that this fast will be a preparation for a multitude of simple deeds for justice. Carried out by men and women whose hearts are focused on the suffering of the poor and who yearn, with us, for a better world. Together, all things are possible.

Fasting, however, is a bit beyond my level of commitment.  But like I said, we have an obligation to do something, to act against that insidious threat of selfish corporate mentality.

And that's where the beauty of buycotts comes into play.  Boycotts and civil action against corporations have to get loud and messy to really be effective, such as staging huge protests, civil disobedience, ad-buys, and creating media campaigns.  Even then, if it's not something totally heinous (like a massive oil spill), it's bound to generate a backlash from supporters of the opposition, so it's a wash.  By implementing a BUYCOTT instead, we can encourage businesses to rethink their agenda because we're promising support--which they understand and desperately want.  Just like the Carrotmob liquor store buycott, with a large scale operation it's possible a group could influence the decisions of major corporations.  The bottom line is that it's a matter of simple psychology: Positive Reinforcement vs. Negative Punishment.  From what I can recall from basic psych 20 years ago, PR is much more effective.

I'll still conduct silent votes with my patronage choices but I now have another weapon in my social change utility belt, and I'm looking forward to a chance to use it.  As a fellow consumer, you're now empowered to push corporations and businesses to respect your wishes, too.  Your voice and choice matter; make them be heard.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. I'm with you on the whole boycott thing and I also agree with you about the "buycott" concept. That carrot mob video was totally impressive.

    Kowalski's grocery store in St. Paul on Grand Avenue does something where they support various local non profit programs like the St.Paul Tennis Club, Humane Society, or the Living At Home Block Club Nurse program. To support the program you want them to donate to, simply drop your receipt into the appropriate box and they will make a percentage donation based upon what you spent.

    ReplyDelete