Saturday, March 3, 2012

In case you didn't feel bad enough about Apple

This topic has come up quite a few times in our classroom discussions and I thought I'd take the opportunity to post a link to the transcript and audio broadcast from This American Life.

This American Life - 454 - Shenzhen and Foxconn Transcript

This American Life - 454 - Shenzhen and Foxconn Audio

I had a customer walk in to my place of work with an iPhone 4s a couple days ago and took the opportunity to test out Siri.  I asked Siri where it was manufactured.  "That is classified information, is there anything else I can help you with?" was Siri's response.  Which is understandable when you find out a little bit more about Foxconn and how these things are built.  But why didn't Siri just say China?  The back side of the phone says it.  It's almost like Siri is begging someone to go and poke around.

1 comment: