Monday, March 5, 2012

Internet Changes Our Lives

The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr

I have read this book, and I think It is very interesting.  Carr describes what the Internet is doing to our brains. As we know, Internet has become the Universal source of information for millions of people, at home, at school, and at work.
  There are three key points that I have found  in Chapter of The Juggler’s Brain. click here
       The first key point is that the internet control our minds. We actually are on the internet and technology at large, not only for our news and celebrity gossip, but more importantly for the ability to work, communicate and connect with people personally and professionally.  The challenge is controlling our feelings. It changes our feelings and our attitudes. Our minds now expects to take in information the way the Net distributes them.

            Another point is that Internet changes our daily lives. We need to remember life before the Internet . Our lives were simple. However, today's kids and young people have never known. Our everyday lives are changing as the Internet grows. There are many new tools for users. We interact with one another and the world around us. Whatever we are looking for, we will find it. We have to accept that the Net is a part of our daily lives.
          The last key point is that Internet changes our brains. The online world is changing the way our brains work. The Internet is a vast and complex network of interconnected computers. We can describe internet as knowledge work.  The rapid growth of the huge data, images, and documents from the web has been a major factor to alter our brains. When we search information from online, there are too many links to other links. We surf the Net with a lot of drag and drop functions.  The Internet may be getting too big. Information overload? More a situation where digital technology is changing the very way we think. We gain new skills and perspectives but lose old ones.

Carr states, “You would probably end up designing something that looks and works a lot like the Internet. It is not just that we tend to use the Net regularly, even obsessively. It is that the Net delivers precisely the kind of sensory and cognitive stimuli—repetitive, intensive, interactive, addictive—that have been shown to result in strong and rapid alterations in brain circuits and functions."
This passage I think they are very useful for users. There is a big influence of technique on our daily life. We control the technology or whether we allow it to control us. We have to adjust ourselves and add more self-control to use it. Internet addiction disturbs the brain and damages. It likes drugs. There are some teenagers or other users who sufferers spend unhealthy amounts of time online to the extent that it impairs their quality of life. 
 
          My own experiences with the second point that is exactly true. Internet changes my behavior. I know that my life is not the same. My life is totally connected to the world. However, it is better than in the past.  


There are two steps in my life when I use Internet. 
  • First, the new technology used me in last two years. I didn’t know how to stop to use it. I found myself wasting a lot of time to unwanted information.   
  • Second, I adjust myself. I can control Internet with my mind, I am ready to use it.  
My main goal at this time, is to use my skills in social media to gain my knowledge. 





read more review click here






 

No comments:

Post a Comment