Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Homeless as Wi-Fi Transmitters

There was a very interesting article that I read in The New York Times, Use of Homeless as Internet Hot Spots Backfires on Marketer. Really, the title of the article says it all but, South by Southwest, is a huge technology conference, happening in Austin, Texas right now. Usually all of the tech savvy guests, booths and activities tend to overload the mobile networks in the area. Well this year, BBH Labs marketing firm decided to hire local homeless people for $20 a day to walk around with cellular devices with wireless access. Absolutely nothing about this sounds like a good idea to me.

Saneel Radia, who oversaw the project was quoted as saying “We saw it as a means to raise awareness by giving homeless people a way to engage with mainstream society and talk to people, the hot spot is a way for them to tell their story”. I do not believe this for one second, I don’t see how them walking around with cell phones around their necks is giving them an opportunity to tell their story. It seems extremely exploitative, and insensitive. However, one man who was involved in the program and interviewed for the article, seemed grateful of the opportunity, so perhaps it’s all a matter of perspective.

I would really love to hear everyone’s opinions on this topic.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Celia for your great topic. When I read it, I feel glad. There are three things that I would like to share.
    First, the one who create this program is amazing. We are all human on the same earth. We are equal. Homeless are also human. This is the time to know their thoughts.
    Second, "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity," said Albert Einstein. Homeless can has a chance to make the world know them, and they shouldn't let the opportunity pass by.
    Last, people can learn new things from ones who are different. In my life,I have learned a lot of new things from ones who have hopeless. I was a volunteer at Senior Center. I talked to old people who their families didn't need them. I sometimes have tough times in my life. Then, I always look at my notes that I have learned from old people or others who teach me from their experiences. Finally, I can overcome my hard situations.

    These are my opinion that I sincerely would like to share with you and everyone.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete