Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Slactivism (slacker activism)


Slactivism (slacker activism)

“Face book activism succeeds not by motivating people to make a real sacrifice, but by motivating them to do the things that people do when they are not motivated enough to make a real sacrifice”

(Mainwaring pg 155)

I unfortunately think that this is all our group has achieved so far this year. In order for our group to actually be effective in launching some sort of change, face book and other social media sites need to be taken farther and into the street. I think that the blogs and face book are semi effective ways to get the information out there but to enact any real change and make things happen you need to get out there and reach the people that are willing to make a real sacrifice for your cause. I think it’s great to use these media sources as a way to get the word out but I also feel that the bottom line is you need to have that person/s that is willing to make the real sacrifices that are necessary to bring about change.

I don’t think that you can rate the success of blogs, face book, twitter, on how many views and likes you get because its way to easy for someone to read your headline say “WOW” you guys are right the Indians got a raw deal I am all about helping your cause. Then they like it and forget about. I won’t call it completely worthless but more or less I think it is. The only way I think this has any benefit is if you reach the right people that are willing to make the sacrifice for your cause, but realistically I don’t see social media reaching those people, I think it needs to be done through interpersonal communication and when you have found the right people willing to do what it takes and get out of the virtual world, because the real world is where the real changes actually occur. Then and only then, does social media really have the power to exact real change.

No comments:

Post a Comment