Sunday, April 8, 2012

Thanks for everything...Mike

I was saddened to learn of Mike Wallace's passing Saturday night.  I never met the guy, but seeing him reminded me of years past, sitting in my grandparents living room, watching 60 Minutes.  My grandfather was never much for conversation, while he watched TV,  but I often wondered what he thought of Wallace.  He never did give an opinion of him.  Nonetheless, 60 Minutes was on the viewing agenda every Sunday in my grandparents home. I attempt to continue the tradition each week  simply because for a few seconds, I'm transported back into my childhood when I hear that ticking clock… Grandma and Grandpa are alive and well.  I can't help wondering if Grandpa and Mike are critiquing one another right now… Grandpa loved to argue politics, and by all accounts, Wallace appeared to enjoy a robust exchange of ideas.  In any case, thank you.  Mr. Wallace for all of your contributions, and the memories, you were  a part of in my life. My condolences to your family and loved ones.  I may have not always agreed with you, but I admire your tenacity in your career and your life.


http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2012/04/08/obituaries/09wallace-ss.html?emc=eta1

2 comments:

  1. Charlie Rose had a nice episode on last night in his honor. The first half was an episode of an interview with Mike with the second half being a round table with Morley Safer, Steve Kroft and Jeff Fager. You can watch it here:
    http://www.charlierose.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike died at 93. He lived a long life. I have read from CBS News website I found that sentence:

      "He was no stranger to the White House, interviewing his friends the Reagans . . . John F. Kennedy . . . Lyndon Johnson . . . Jimmy Carter. Even Eleanor Roosevelt.”

      Thank you for your link. I want to learn more about his works.

      Delete