Monday, June 18, 2012

All the more reason to buy local




Well, this image may end up being a bit hard to read, but if you squint your eyes, you will be able to see that all of these food, beverage, and household supplies are coming from 10 giant corporations.

I thought this image seemed fitting to the theme surrounding our class this semester. It is one thing to read about the giant corporations and how much they own, but it's another to see it with your own eyes.

We now have the tools to educate others and go up against these corporations and support our local businesses. I know I'm going to try and take what I've learned in this class and put it to good use. We've watched a ton of YouTube videos made by people just like you and me who are going up against these corporations and are doing very well (the US Bank story, Carrotmob, etc..)

This year, I've planted my own garden and go to the St. Paul Farmer's Market every Saturday morning to buy fresh produce, breads, and other goodies.

Here are the links to the St. Paul and Minneapolis Farmers Markets:

St. Paul

Minneapolis

Can you think of some other great local businesses to support in effort to send a message to the giant corporations?

If you can, please share!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome that you have planted a garden Chiara! I am thinking of getting involved in a community garden out in Columbia Heights since I will be moving out here in August. It is a great way to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete