Thursday, June 14, 2012

General Mills and the marriage amendment

Now don't get me wrong, I am absolutely, 100 percent going to vote NO in November against the proposed marriage amendment. I've actually put a lot of time into keeping up with the issue, and am trying to intern to work for the vote. 


That being said, yesterday I saw a status on the Minnesotans United for All Families Facebook page that said: 

"RELEASE: Fortune 500 giant General Mills took an historic stance today in support of all Minnesota families by formally opposing the constitutional amendment that seeks to limit the freedom to marry for committed gay and lesbian couples in Minnesota." 


I thought this was fantastic and 'liked' the status. Then this morning, I was scanning the St. Paul Pioneer Press website and found a article written about the same status yesterday. The article was titled: General Mills comes out against Minnesota marriage amendment.


I loved the story and the whole concept of a huge Fortune 500 company publicly stating that they oppose the act, but I wish the writer, Tom Webb would have kept something out. Reading the article, Webb states:


"But like most corporations, it also has tried to steer clear of public controversies like the marriage amendment, which is passed by voters in November would place a ban on gay marriage into the state constitution. That poses a special risk for highly visible corporations like General Mills, which has mainstream consumer brands like Betty Crocker, Yoplait yogurt and Cheerioes. Gay marriage opponents organized a boycott of Starbucks after the Seattle-based coffee chain said it would oppose a similar amendment on the ballot in Washington state."

I understand that a big Fortune 500 company taking the stance that they have is going to cause controversy. I also understand that as a news writer you are not really supposed to have a bias, you are just supposed to state the facts, but I wish in this instance he would have left the above portion out. People are going to stir up controversy whether we give them the idea or not. It just seemed to me like he was trying to predict what is going to happen.
Now you can totally disagree with me and that's okay, this is just my opinion. What are your opinions about the way this article was written?


1 comment:

  1. I completely understand what you're saying. This section of the article might stir something up, but it makes what General Mills seem like an even bigger deal. We should start a buycott/procott/girlcott!

    ReplyDelete