Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Yoga vs. Christianity

I have been going to Bodyflow classes over the last year. Bodyflow combines Yoga, Pilates, and Tai Chi in an hour long workout.  My newfound love for this routine causes me to suggest others to try it.


One day, I got a response I wasn’t quite expecting. “I don’t do Yoga because it goes against my Christianity.” I was taken aback when I was told that Yoga, if done incorrectly, can cause demons in the body.

I don’t consider myself to be religious, so I was unthreatened by this. But it interested me that an exercise could be thought of as a breach in Christianity.

I found this website and was surprised to read there is a wide range of people who firmly believe this.

Yoga practiced in gyms is so Americanized that it doesn’t seem to have the same Buddhist religious roots as traditional Yoga. In my opinion, Yoga practiced at your local YMCA might as well have a different name slapped on it because it is not technically Yoga.

If practiced without prayers or meditation, how would it be considered un-Christian?

However, it’s a personal choice whether or not you deem practicing an exercise a sin. I guess if it is, I am going to hell with amazing flexibility and range of motion.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very interesting post, quite shocking actually. I would have never made the connection between doing yoga incorrectly and causing demons in the body. But good points you made. It is very interesting to get someone else's point of view because I would have just thought yoga was yoga with no affiliation whatsoever with religion. I just learned something today.

    ReplyDelete