Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Do the Zipper Merge!

Traffic

As we all know there are two seasons in Minnesota; Winter and Road Construction.  We deal with this every year and the insanity of traffic back-ups and nightmares seem to be increasing.  For my job I spend a ton of time on the road driving to and from appointments.  I see the traffic conditions from all aspects of weather and from all times of the day.  Traffic jams do not discriminate they happen on every road in the Twin Cities Metropolitan Area.  Not only do I have to deal with traffic jams for work, I have to deal with them going to school, the cabin, well pretty much all the time.

Metropolitan State

We all know that Metro State is a commuter campus, students come from all over the metro area for class.  If commuting wasn't bad enough, classes are held in 5 different locations (St. Paul Main Campus, St. Paul Energy Park Campus, Minneapolis Campus, Anoka Campus, and Maplewood) and students may need to drive to all 5 in one day depending on their major.  


Zipper Merge

We have all seen the gargantuan line that forms some twenty miles away from the lane closure barrels.  Have you been one of those people that I see pulling their hair out while driving past you in the "closed" lane?  Did you know that there is a simply way how to combat the traffic head aches that come along with the season of road construction?  According to MNDOT if we do the Zipper Merge when dealing with lane closures the number minutes if not hours that we spend in traffic will significantly be reduced by almost 40%.  Think of what you could be doing with that extra 20 minutes that you didn't have to spend in traffic.  You could be doing things around the house, exercising, watching TV or even doing a blog about how awesome the Zipper Merge is.  


3 comments:

  1. Whenever I do the zipper merge, MN nice disappears and people honk at me! Who's the bad guy here?...

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are dumb for not doing the same as you. I am leaving work now I plan on doing the Zipper Merger twice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Zipper Merge was the way I was taught to merge on the highway and it is what my son was taught to merge on the highway. I am always confunded by those people that DON'T know this concept! It is easy, smooth and seamless. I blame the stupid clover exits and on-ramps, drivers are so focused on not crashing into the on-coming traffic they don't even think about the zipper merge. It's an "everyone for your self!" mentality getting on the hightway! Okay... my rant is done... for now.

    ReplyDelete