Friday, May 3, 2013

Is the recession over? Did it even exist in the first place?

Recently, after him talking about his dreams of us moving to California - where I already lived for 12 years of my life, I reminded my boyfriend of the recession. How because of it we can't just expect jobs there right away, especially when we're both just starting new ones and only at entry level retail, here. He argued that the recession is no longer and, hell, maybe there wasn't even one in the first place.

I then realized that maybe he's right that it has ended, as thoughts of me easily getting different jobs the past year and many more interviews for other ones filled my head. But he must be crazy for thinking one never even existed, as I remembered that it took me 2 1/2 months to find another job despite having almost two years of job experience already (and only quitting because of moving here) back in 2008. And with him being only 19 (versus my 25 year old self) and getting jobs even that same year at the age of 14, which being 10x more outgoing towards strangers than I am definitely helped in nailing interviews, he didn't exactly get the same perspective as me and millions of others.

Seems as if we are not alone in debating where America's economy is at right now. On one hand, in my personal experiences it seems as if a lot more places are now again hiring, but on the other from being told that interviews for other candidates will be conducted by the places interviewing me, seems as if many people are still applying. What does everyone else think? Are we doing a lot better than the '07-'08 economic downturn or only gradually still? Is anyone still facing hard financial times because of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment