Thursday, May 30, 2013

My Restaurant Etiquette Rant...

Being in the restaurant industry for over 6 years now, I've definitely had my fair share of well.... interesting experiences. I worked my way up the restaurant chain from host, to server, to bartender, so I think it's fair to say that I know whats okay to do at a restaurant and more importantly whats not. Here are just a few server pet peeves to try and avoid next time you're dining out:

1) Ask for a table or a booth before you get to your table
Wanting a table or a booth is absolutely no big deal! When I go out I like to sit at a booth, its just about being comfortable while you are eating, totally understand. However, let the host know your preference before they take you to your table and you realize its not what you wanted. I know that it seems really easy to just take you to the table across the aisle, but its not. There's a rotation that most hosts follow in order to fairly seat each server. If you wait until you get to your table to request a different one, this throws everything off... aaaand now you're wandering all around the restaurant just to get seated. It makes your life and the hosts life easier if you just ask right away:)

2) Don't say you're ready when you actually need more time.
I understand that the menu is gigantic and you're starving so everything looks delicious, but please dont tell me that you're ready to order, and then spend 5 minutes saying "oh that looks good... actually no I think I'll try this, but wait..." If you need more time, THATS OKAY!! In the time you spent telling me all of the things that you thought looked good, I could've gotten table 61 ranch, and refilled beverages at table 4. At any given time servers have at least 5 different things that they need to be (or at least should be) doing, and I have no problem coming back to the table and giving you more time to decide.

3) Ask for everything you need all at once (if possible)
Every good server should prep the table with any condiments and/or utensils that you need before your food arrives, but if you need anything extra make sure to let them know at the same time. Please don't ask for extra ranch, and then once the server comes back to the table ask for something else, and again, and again. I once ran back and forth to the table 8 TIMES... for one table.. I think thats a little ridiculous personally. I definitely don't mind grabbing you anything that you need to enjoy your meal, but please don't make me burn 1000 calories while doing so.

4)The only time you're allowed to give me attitude is if I give it to you first.
If you're having a bad day don't come in and take it out on us. If I am being pleasant with you, there is no reason for you to be unpleasant with me. Simple as that.

5) Children....
Its not a secret that servers like to have adults at the table. Typically their meals are more expensive, therefore driving the check average up, and they don't make as much of a mess (usually). However, nothing is more exciting than having and adorable kid at your table with manners. Children with manners are the cutest and totally make up for the fact that their meal was only $5. I would rather wait on a table full of polite children, than rude adults. Its amazing how far manners go.... some people need to take notes.

6) Tip appropriately
Yes, I know. You knew at some point I was going to bring up the tipping controversy. This is all I will say. You like to get paid for doing your job correctly.... and so do we. Think of it as your quarterly bonuses you get at your fancy law firm, except we get it in smaller amounts... and pay our bills with it. If you server did a good job, and had a smile on their face... give them 18%. If they were outstanding and went above and beyond to make your experience great, give them 20%. If they sucked (which, yes there are some out there, we can't all be fabulous) I don't really know what to tell you, but NEVER EVER leave them nothing.... Thats a huge insult.

Anyone in the industry will understand these server pet peeves, and for those of you who were unaware, think of yourselves as lucky to be let in on the "secret"...... but instead of keeping it a secret lets pass it on to our friends so everyone can become educated on how to act in a restaurant. It sounds like such a simple thing, but you would be surprised....

This blog also features some interesting posts, if you're looking for more info on the topic:

http://diniquette.com/tag/dining-etiquette-blogs/

Kari

2 comments:

  1. I would agree with every single one of your tips! My husband is a food service alumni and we follow all these rules. Our son has always had good manners in a restaurant and has even been a role model for some adults. I would add a new rule to your list, in light of our class topic. Put your phone/iPod/tablet away when you are talking to your server. It is rude to be on the phone or online and talking to your server. They don't have time to make sure you are paying attention and it is your responsibility to give them attention so they can do their job well and get your order correct. Just because they are there to "serve" you doesn't mean do you don't treat them as you would like to be treated.

    ReplyDelete