Thursday, June 20, 2013

A Vegetarian Diet is Right for You

I’m pretty sure that after reading the title of this post most of you rolled your eyes or scoffed at the idea of a vegetarian diet, but you should know that it’s good for you!  And it is possible.  I’ve been a vegetarian for almost seven years now and I don’t think I’ll ever go back.  I was vegan for over two years as well, but that was hard to keep up with so I went back to being a vegetarian. 

Some people don’t know this, but there are four types of vegetarian diets:
  • Lacto-vegetarian – this diet excludes meat, fish poultry and eggs and includes dairy products.
  • Lacto-ovo vegetarian – this diet excludes meat, fish and poultry and includes dairy products and eggs.
  • Ovo-vegetarian – this diet excludes meat, poultry, seafood and dairy products and includes eggs.
  • Vegan – this diet excludes meat, poultry, fish, eggs and dairy products.
Just like the omnivores, vegetarians have a food guide pyramid as well.  More details regarding the pyramid can be found at Mayo Clinic.

Asides from saving animals lives, there are health benefits of a vegetarian diet.  A couple of them are:
  • Ward of diseases – Vegetarian diets are healthier than the average American diet and can help prevent heart disease and reduce the risk of cancer.
  • Keep your weight down – the average American diet is high in saturated fats and processed foods and is low in plant-based foods.  According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and a division of the CDC, the National Center for Health Statistics, 64 percent of adults and 15 percent of children aged 6 to 19 are overweight and are at risk of weight-related ailments including heart disease, stroke and diabetes (retrieved 2013 from http://www.vegetariantimes.com/article/why-go-veg-learn-about-becoming-a-vegetarian/).

For the full list of the benefits of a vegetarian diet check out Vegetarian Times

People always ask me how I can be a vegetarian and if I miss meat.  The answer to that is it’s easy and no.  I’ll be honest that I was never really a fan of meat so it was easier for me to make the switch.  However, back when I did eat meat my step Mom made the best steaks ever!  So maybe once in a while I miss that, but really I don’t because if you were to put a steak in front of me today I would not eat it.  I also want to point out one thing, I don’t mind if people around me eat meat (I’m not “one of those”), that’s fine, but don’t force it in my face.  I have some friends that like to wave chicken wings in my face and that’s just gross and rude.  When people ask me how I can be a vegetarian they always ask what I eat instead.  Simple.  I eat a lot of veggies.  But what about something with more substance?  There are several brands that make wonderful veggie burgers and veggie meat substitutes that actually taste pretty good.  I’ve also noticed that more grocery stores are carrying more of these brands which is awesome.  This makes it even easier.  For those of you who are skeptics of the vegetarian diet, I say test it out.  Do something as simple as go vegetarian for one day out of the week.  See how you feel.  I bet you’ll feel better! 

No comments:

Post a Comment