Friday, June 21, 2013

Skinny What?!

I don’t even know where to start.  Let’s start with while looking up vegan diets I came across the Skinny B**** website.  This website is for a book that was published back in 2005.  The main goal of the two authors is to bring attention to the horrors of the food industry, but their ploy to make people pay attention is to be b******.  The tagline of the book is, “A no-nonsense, tough-love guide for savvy girls who want to stop eating crap and start looking fabulous!”  Nothing in that tagline suggests they are concerned with the welfare of animals.  I think the kicker for me is that one of the authors is a former Ford Models agent and the other is a former model who has a Masters of Science degree in Holistic Nutrition.  So at least one of them knows what they are talking about. 

Maybe I’m being naive, but since when is being a b**** a good or cool thing?  Am I out of touch?  I don’t think so.  One of my main criticisms of this website is the tone.  The site talks down to the readers.  It’s telling the readers they are doing something wrong and need to fix it, but in an extremely rude fashion.  I cringed when I read this, “they may be b******, but they are skinny b******.”  That is horrible.  We already have enough women in this world with low self esteem and then this book comes out and exploits it.  However, people must like the “in your face” approach because they have written four other books!  Their newest book is titled Skinny Bastard which is geared towards men.  I think I just puked a little.  So if you’re looking for something to laugh about or have an “are you serious?!” moment, check out the site.  It’ll either help you put down that donut or will make you eat the whole box and cry about it later.

1 comment:

  1. I agree the last thing we need to have is a more insecure women run across this site and feel even worse about themselves.

    ReplyDelete