Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The Old School Flip Phone (Fun Post)

It was mentioned a couple of times in class this semester that seemingly everybody has a smart phone in this day and age. I’ll admit, I do think that they are very cool when people show me the tasks they are capable of performing. It is absolutely amazing to me that almost any information in the world can be available at the push of a button (or sound of a voice) in a seemingly instant speed. But when it comes down to my personal preference, I have yet to make the jump from the classic flip phone.
As I said earlier, I think that the idea of a smart phone and its capabilities is cool and often amazing, so my reason for not switching over from the traditional flip phone isn’t necessarily to prove a point against smart phones. The biggest reason that I like my flip phone is that it’s very simple. I don’t have internet or anything on it, but that’s good because it won’t distract me from things I need to get done. It doesn’t have a touch screen, so when it’s closed I can’t accidentally push buttons and “butt dial” people. It’s not sensitive to touch in anyway, so anything that it does (calls, text, and tools) is because I intended to utilize it for that specific reason and not by mistake.
I must admit, there is a part of me that is paranoid that getting a smart phone will make it easier for me to enter an Orwell type of world. I’ll be tracked and monitored all the time and under the constant eye of the Thought Police and Spies and eventually taken to Room 101…okay, so that rant was meant for humor, but in a much more simple way it has some validity. I suppose it doesn’t matter much these days what type of phone a person has, they all can probably be tracked the same. I guess what it boils down to is that I’d just rather not have my phone post to Facebook my location every time I check into a restaurant or go to a convenience store; who needs to know that?

In the end, I’m probably going to have to make the move from the flip phone to a smart phone, as flip phones could end up going extinct. But until that day comes, I’m sticking with the simple phone and leaving the internet resource to my computer. It’s not like it matters too much anyway, any time I want to know something, I just have to turn to a friend and ask them and they’ll give me an answer in a couple seconds. Everybody’s got one these days, I can get benefits from second hand 4G.

1 comment: