Friday, June 21, 2013

Women Need Weights,Too!

Different types of workouts come and go like fads, but there is one in particular that I think all women should practice.  Exercising with weights!  Just the other day, a woman I work with told me, "I can't weight train, I get really bulky and boxy."  This is a total misconception!   According to Fitocracy Blog, lifting weights, creates muscle and muscle speeds up your metabolism, which in return burns fat.  Yes, cardio is important to incorporate in your workout routine and can help burn fat, but you will not see an overall change in your body like you can with strength training.

Where you can start

Now when I say lift weights, I don't mean you need to be performing Olympic lifts.  If it means you need to start by lifting 5 pound dumb bells from workouts you found on YouTube or Pinterest, that is a solid beginning.  If it all possible, hire a personal trainer for a few sessions just to show you where you need to begin.   Every woman's body has different needs and a personal trainer can help you define those needs as well as personal goals.  Also, site like Women's Health Magazine has helpful tips for weight training as well as demonstrations to help get you in a routine!


My Personal Favorite Weight Lifting Workout

I too, was awful at including weight training into workouts until I found Crossfit.  Crossfit uses constantly varied, functional movements in a high intensity way that delivers dramatic fitness results for athletes of all levels of skill and experience.  The classes have a fair ratio of Crossfit coaches and athletes, which is a great All of my classes have an equal amount of women and men and encourage women to make fitness goals, including lifting goals.

Change it up!

So if any of you ladies aren't lifting weights, start NOW!  The changes you will see will effect you physically and mentally.  Weight lifting prevents injury, increases muscle and decreases fat, a change in mental health, increases bone density, and boosts confidence!  You will notice a change in yourself immediately.  Ignore the misconceptions and see the change for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment