Sunday, June 2, 2013

Students Can Afford To Lose Interest..

I graduated high school in 2008 ready to see what the world had to offer. In a society where getting a secondary education is the norm, I of course decided to follow that path, so I packed my things and headed to college. Unsure of many things, like what I wanted to pursue, and why I was going in the first place, I found myself looking for answers. Two years into my education I discovered many things  1) college is harder that they make it seem in the movies, and 2) tequila does NOT mix well with wine... and although these were somewhat "valuable" lessons, I was still trying to answer to questions that I started with. I couldn't risk being the girl who, "took a break", but never actually went back, so I continued on my journey hoping that I would eventually stumble into a career path that made me happy. Here I am five years later on the track to becoming a public relations practitioner. I'm thankful (and surprised) that I've made it this far, but I just can't help but feel weighted down by what my education has left me with. My five years of "discovery" have left me with a substantial amount of: yup you guessed it, student loans. Like many other Americans, upon my graduation from college I wont only be receiving a diploma, but also a big fat IOU from the Federal Government.



The reason I bring this up is because of the recent controversy with the student loan reform. Student loan interest rates are currently at 3.4 percent, and if the senate doesn't come up with a solution by July 1st, these rates could double! With a college education already costing most Americans at least $40,000, I just cant imagine that the government would try to get even more money out of people who are simply trying to receive an education so that they can (hopefully) get a decent job upon graduation. If you couldn't tell by now I am obviously against the rate increase, and I am hoping that the senate can figure out a solution to this issue. There are many proposals in place, one of which put the issue into deferment for the next year and keep rates at what they are, and Obama's plan is roughly based off of an income-based repayment plan with 20 year loan forgiveness, and keeping rates close to what they are at. This currently seems to be the best option for us, however I still find it astonishing that corporate banks pay an interest rate of .75 percent on their debt, yet students are paying nine times that. The system seems a bit skewed.  I mean in a society that practically forces you to obtain higher education in order to get a job, they are going to nickel and dime you while you do it, it just doesn't seem right. The government makes 51 Billion dollars off of student loan debt each year, THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!! Why should the government be making money off of college students going to school?? We're the ones putting in all of the hard work, while the government just sits back and collects. Typical.  I'm sure I'm not the only student who is angered by this, so If you also feel the same way visit this website to sign the petition and stop the government from deferring this issue another year. We need answers, and we shouldn't have to wait any longer.

Here are some other links that provide great information on the topic
John Tierney
Boston Magazine

2 comments:

  1. I am right there with you. It's insane how much money the government is making off of students. I've been in and out of college since I graduated in 2001(man I feel old) and I don't even want to think about how much I'll owe after all is said and done. As you mentioned students are basically being penalized for trying to better themselves and set a career path for themselves. It really shouldn’t be this expensive to do something that is basically required these days. Most businesses want employees that have a degree, but at these prices who can afford it?!

    ReplyDelete