Thursday, June 20, 2013

New Shoes, New You!

I am an outdoor runner starting early spring through fall and was so excited when I was able to take my first big jog 3 weeks ago (when the weather was on my side).  Unfortunately, I only lasted a good mile when I felt a pain running through my feet all the way up to my inner knee.  I knew hitting the pavement was an unfamiliar feeling since last fall, and I also knew I wasn't in the best of shape but this sharp pain was persistent.  I gave my legs a day off and tried going for a run the day after, same uncomfortable feeling, the feeling that I could really injure myself if I continued my run.



A friend of mine works for a store that sells running shoes and other running equipment so I visited him at work to see if he had ever heard of  other runners experiencing the same thing I was.  He right away asked me how old my running shoes were, and that's when I realized they were 3 years old.  He explained to me the importance of getting new shoes every 6 months, maybe even less depending on how often you're running.  He helped me with some new running shoes and sent me on my way, but I wasn't convinced that my shoes were going to make that much of a difference, I felt like my body just couldn't take the harsh outdoor runs anymore.  To my surprise, the shoes made a complete difference.  I had no aches, sharp pains, and I could run comfortably for 3 miles straight!  My shoes lost their support and my running form, joints, and muscles were taking a toll.



The point is, we are on our feet all day so it's important to take care of our main method of transportation...our feet!  If you are going to invest in expensive apparel, start with good shoes.  Wearing cheap shoes that don't fit (or if you're a woman, inexpensive, low quality heels that are too small) could lead to permanent damage!  Places that specialize in shoes are extremely knowledgeable and can tell you more about your own feet than you might even know, and comfortable shoes today don't have to be ugly, they can be stylish while helping prevent lower body injuries (click here and here for great shoe stores).  Take my advice and invest in a quality pair of shoes.  If you workout, make sure to get a new pair at least every 6 months, and just because they look ok, doesn't mean the inner support is there.    

1 comment:

  1. Every 6 months?! I'll go broke! But it really does make sense to switch them out. I actually ran (pun intended) into the same issue a couple months ago. I finally got back to the gym and after about an hour I had to stop. My feet were killing me! Sadly I still haven't gotten new shoes yet, but now that the weather is kinda better I will be. Great post and links!

    ReplyDelete