Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Exercising your public voice : Daycare Dangers in Minnesota

This is a topic that I really wanted to educate to current parents and to people that will have children in the future.  As you know there has been several news stories that involved some type of children related issue.  The most recent story was about  Sandstone Daycare in Sand Stone, MN, she was drinking while watching ten children, one of the toddlers some how got out of site and wondered off onto a highway and came close to getting hit by several cars.  I have to tell you this made me sick to my stomach when I watched this on the local news last night.  In my mind it could have been my son in that position.  The news said that she admitted to having several drinks through out the day and is only being charged with child neglect and child endangerment?  It should be a felony not a gross misdemeanor and more then a year in jail.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/22610913/sandstone-daycare-charges-toddler-on-highway

I propose that we have a harsher punishment for this type of crime. For starters we should immediately take their daycare and put it out of business and make sure there are never able to run one again. Second,  instead of up to a 3,000 dollar fine make the daycare provider pay the parents for endangering their children.

Like I said before this is just the most recent story I have seen but if you search Google or look at the StarTribune.com you will find several more stories on this topic. 
http://www.startribune.com/local/150283965.html

We as a community, as parents , and the law need to be more ambitious on coming up with ways to prevent this. I know there is only so much we can do and we can only ask law makers to try but if you look at the real it could be one of our kids or our friends and family's kids.  Let's make the change by starting some kind of online community like Facebook, or start a blog where we can drop resources to picking daycares, share experiences amongst one another, and a place where we can get advice.  Who's with me?






1 comment:

  1. Lucas this blog is TERRIFYING! I have also heard more than one horror story as of late regarding issues with daycare. My husband and I were blessed with an absolutely wonderful daycare provider and I wish that everyone could say the same. You entrust these individuals and centers to care for your most prized and cherished little ones, often paying exorbitant amounts of money to ensure their every safety, and it still doesn't give much peace of mind when you see stories like this. I am so grateful to be past this stage in my life!!

    ReplyDelete