Friday, June 21, 2013

TCGSL

Twin Cities Goodtime Softball League is one of the largest leagues in the NAGAAA – the North American Gay Amateur Athletic Alliance Open Division.  This is their 35th season and there are over 550 GLBT athletes on 35 teams.  The season goes from early May through the end of August.  I’ve been a part of this league for the last four years and it’s been amazing!  This year I haven’t been able to play yet due to working full time and taking two summer classes, but now that classes are basically over I’ll be able to join my team again!  For the last two years our team name has been Balls N’ Dolls.  Love it.  The first year we were Lucky Dogs (a small dog walking company sponsored us) then we were Bottoms Up (what, we like to drink!) 
 
I joined the league because my brother’s boyfriend at the time told him about it and he didn’t want to do it alone so he signed me up without me knowing.  Great brother.  Good thing is I played slow pitch softball from 6th – 11th grade on a community league so I knew how to play.  And to this day I’m so glad he signed me up because I have met so many amazing people throughout the last four years.  Games are every Sunday and it’s a great time to enjoy the outdoors and hang out with friends.
Now I don’t want you to get confused when you read “amateur” in the league’s title.  Most of the athletes have been with the league for 10 plus years and they are phenomenal athletes.  Even those who haven’t been a part of the league for that long are great players.  My team is in the lowest division (whomp whomp), but last year we did win the division title so that’s awesome.  But when you go watch the teams in the first and second division it is insane!  Everyone is so great and on point.  It’s just natural to them.  It really is fun to watch.
One of my favorite events of the season is the drag show fundraiser held in July at Solera downtown called Miss TCGSL.  It’s not mandatory, but each team has the opportunity to put together an act and perform at Solera.  It’s a blast and a great way for teams to raise money for equipment, jerseys and league fees.
If you are ever bored on a Sunday and are looking for something to do, come on over to the Northeast Athletic fields and watch some games!  I promise you’ll have a great time.  Check us out on Facebook too!  https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/92927947792/?fref=ts

No comments:

Post a Comment